- 250g Blue Band Margarine
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 250g self-raising flour
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until pale. Use an electric hand mixer if you have one.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Sift over the flour and fold in using a large metal spoon.
- The mixture should be of a dropping consistency; if it is not, add a little milk.
- Divide the mixture between two 20cm/ 8 inch greased cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Ice the cake and decorate as desired.