Serves: 18-24 Cup Cakes
Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water
- 1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams Blue Band
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 120 grams unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup (150 grams) Blue Band
- 1 1/3 cups (160 grams) Icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
To Make the Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and set aside.
- Beat the Blue Band and sugar until light and fluffy using a hand mixer or whisk.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth while scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated, then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16 -20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the Blue Band until smooth and creamy using a hand mixer or whisk (about 1 minute). Add the icing sugar little at a time and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed (if using the hand mixer) until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).