5 tips to make homework easy and fun.
Doing homework is quite often not what children want to do at the of the day. Even though they know they have to get through it, they will put it off and avoid it at all costs – especially on a beautiful day. However, there are easy ways to make sure that they don’t just get it done, but thoroughly enjoy it. Here are 5 tips to help you make their homework effortless.
1. Pick the right spot. Finding the right place to get the job done is tremendously important. Some kids like to work at the dinner table, others like to work in their room, but what’s important is that they want to be there. This helps them focus and focus on the task at hand.
2. Write it for them. Obviously, this does not mean ‘do it for them’. During homework time, sit with your child while they work out a math problem or the beginning of an essay and write down what’s important. This allows children to be more interested in the subject matter, and not worry about their handwriting.
3. Prepare a plan! Most children are not fantastic at organising their week, or preparing for a big exam. Help your child out by asking them what’s coming up in the future and create a calendar for them to turn to when they are unsure about upcoming tests or assignments. It gives them confidence, and shows that you’re interested in their school work, which always inspires children to work harder.
4. Make it a team effort. When your child gets a bad mark, don’t put all of the blame on them. Instead of saying, “I’m so disappointed in YOU,” say something like, “Oh no, WE should have done better.” Making sure they understand that you are in this together, is a powerful tool you can use to inspire a more dedicated approach to homework and tests.
5. Keep it moving. Active children require movement, it’s that simple. If you have a busy body at home, be it a boy or a girl, make them work for 45 minutes at a time, and then let them run around
for a bit. This will help them burn off some of their excess energy and come back focused on the task at hand.